East Asia Travel Vaccinations

Your IPSA Vaccine Clinic

Depending on your current vaccine status and where in East Asia you are going, how long you plan to stay in East Asia and what you will be doing while you are in East Asia, your IPSA vaccine specialist will advise you on the recommended additional vaccines you will require to protect yourself whilst in East Asia. Your IPSA physician will also talk through any country-specific medications that you should consider taking with you on your trip to East Asia.

All travellers to East Asia

Firstly, ensure you are up to date with your routine vaccinations (e.g. your yearly flu shot, MMR etc.). You might also require some extra vaccinations when travelling to East Asia.
What are the routine vaccines?

  • Typhoid
  • Hepatitis A
  • Japanese encephalitis
  • Tetanus, diphtheria and polio

What vaccines should most travellers to East Asia have?

In East Asia, there is a risk of hepatitis A, typhoid, Japanese encephalitis, tetanus, diphtheria and polio.
Hepatitis A: The Centre for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) recommends having the hepatitis A vaccine, as, regardless of where you are staying or where you are eating, there is a risk of getting this disease through contaminated water and food when in East Asia.
Typhoid: Again, the CDC also recommends having the typhoid vaccine due to the risk of catching typhoid through contaminated water and food. This is especially the case if you are adventurous with your diet, if you are visiting any of East Asia’s smaller cities, or if you are staying with relatives or with friends.
Tetanus, diphtheria and polio: The triple vaccine will protect you against all three diseases. Diphtheria is passed on through contaminated bed linen/clothing, though personal contact and via respiratory droplets. Tetanus spores in the soil contaminate wounds causing the disease. Polio is passed on through the oral or through the faecal/oral route.
Japanese encephalitis: You might need to have this vaccine if your trip is for longer than one month, and you may also require it depending on what time of year you are travelling and where you are going in East Asia. This vaccine is also recommended if you are planning to visit rural areas or to spend a lot of time outdoors, even if your trip is for less than a month. Your IPSA specialist will help you to decide whether to have this vaccine based on your travel plans.

What vaccines should some travellers to East Asia have?

During your vaccine consultation, your IPSA vaccine specialist will run through what medicines and vaccines you will need. This is based on how long you will be staying in the country, where you are going, what you will be doing when you are in East Asia, and it will also depend on if you are travelling to East Asia from a country other than the UK.
Hepatitis B: You can catch hepatitis B from blood products, sexual contact or contaminated needles. If you plan on having sex with a new partner, getting a piercing or tattoo, or undergoing any medical procedures whilst in East Asia, then the CDC recommends having the hepatitis B vaccine.
Rabies: In East Asia, rabies is found in bats, dogs, and other mammals. The CDC recommends having the rabies vaccine if you are at risk from animal bites such as when you:

  • Are going to be involved in outdoor or other activities (like biking, camping, caving, hiking, or adventure travel).
  • Will be working around/with animals (such as researchers, veterinarians or wildlife professionals).
  • Are going to take a long trip or move to East Asia permanently.
  • Are more likely to receive animal bites to the neck/head, such as children, who tend to play more often with animals and might not report any bites.

Cholera: Cholera, a small-intestine infection that can be fatal and causes acute diarrhoea/vomiting, causes electrolyte imbalance/dehydration. Cholera is rife in areas with inadequate sanitation conditions, questionable water quality and a lack of good food hygiene.

For your same-day IPSA vaccination consultation, simply call your nearest IPSA clinic or make your booking online.